One of the scariest things a pet owner can go through is trying to save your pets in a house fire. Panic ensues! How can you plan for that? With over 500,000 pets affected by fires and 40,000 killed by them annually, it's imperative to be prepared. Here are some safety tips to remember in times of emergency.
1. Know all your pet's hiding spots. This especially goes for cats that like to make themselves disappear in every nook and cranny. Knowing all their usual spots makes it easier to find them and get them out fast.
2. Create an escape plan on how you're physically going to get your pets out. Whether it's having the proper carriers and leashes available or a way to get large cages out for small pets.
3. Practice the escape plan and route with your family and practice getting the pets out of the house, as well.
4. Put an emergency safety sticker on your front door/window to alert first responders that there are pets in the home and how many of each.
5. Also, make sure your neighbors know how many pets you have in case you aren't home.
6. Make sure all your pets have updated tags and microchip information in case you get separated.
7. If you can't get your pet before safely getting yourself out of the home, immediately inform first responders so they can go in and look for them.
Photo Credit: Love A Hero
Being involved in a fire is always terrifying and even more so when you have to get your pets out, leaving you feeling helpless sometimes. By taking these steps, you can ensure that you are a bit more prepared if the nightmare were to ever happen.
In Same Category
Related by Tags
- Spring Cleaning is for the Dogs (&cats)
- Pet First Aid Awareness
- How Do Deaf Dogs Learn Sign Language?
- Dog Thefts on the Rise Worldwide
- What Dogs are the Best Apartment Dogs?
- Dogs and Diarrhea: Everything You Need to Know
- 6 DIY Dog Puzzles for Enrichment
- Keeping Pets Safe Throughout The Holiday Season
- What You Need to Know: Diabetes in Dogs
- All About Canine Lymphoma
- 12 Pawfect Halloween Dog Treats
- How Can You Teach Your Dog to Swim?
- Pet Fire Safety 101
- 15 Easy Doggie Ice Cream for Summer
- Are Your Pets Gaining Weight?
- Pet Cancer Awareness: The Facts
- Welcoming Your Newly Adopted Dog Into Your Home
- Why Microchipping Your Pet Is Important
- Animal Disaster Preparedness: Are You Ready?
- Get On Top of Flea and Tick Prevention!
- Why Should You Ditch Easter Chocolate For Your Pets?
- Tips For Adopting A Pet During Quarantine
- How Can You Keep Your Indoor Cat Entertained?
- Quarantined? Activities To Keep Your Dogs Entertained and Active
- Choosing The Best Kind of Pet Care Service
- Spay and Neuter: It's the Right Thing to Do
- Are Your Pets Muddling Allergies?
- Gardening With Pets: Make Everyone Happy and Safe
- 10 Reasons to Adopt a Shelter Pet
- Why is Charcoal Beneficial For Pets?
- What is Your Dog's Body Language Telling You?
- Pet Dental Health...It's More Important Than You Realize