There's a special feeling that overcomes you when you adopt a pet from an animal shelter. Giving them their freedom walk as they leave their cage behind is truly amazing. But in case you need another reason to adopt a shelter pet, we have put some together for Celebrate Shelter Pets® Day!
1. A Life is Saved
You are giving a dog, cat, or any other shelter animal a second chance at an amazing life! You get the chance to their happily ever after!
2. You Can Skip The Puppy Stage
This is only applied if you adopt an adult dog but the majority of shelter dogs are adults. If you'd rather skip the stages of nibbling, accidents, and destruction, you have the chance to go straight to an adult dog! But if you want a puppy, there's plenty of those as well!
3. You Are Helping Stop Pet Overpopulation
Simply put, there aren't enough homes available for all the pets born every year. Each year 8 to 12 million dogs, cats, puppies, and kittens are euthanized due to there not being enough homes nad by adopting from a shelter, you are helping to break that cycle.
4. It Costs Less
A shelter fee can range from $75 to $200 and sometimes, they even have free adoption events! And the fee includes a spay/neuter, microchip, and licensing. Compare that to the $1000 plus you might pay for a dog from a breeder.
5. You Have a Large Selection of Pets To Choose From
Most shelters don't have just dogs and cats but also bunnies, reptiles and even chickens and other farm animals! But if a dog or cat is more what you are looking for, they even have a huge selection of those! They have dogs and cats of all mixes, sizes, ages, personalities, etc.!
6. They Might Be Hosue Trained Already
A lot of shelter dogs had a home in a previous life. Due to this, they might already be house trained! They could also have been in a foster home where they were trained!
7. You Already Know Their Personality
This also only applies if you adopt an adult dog but even with a 6-month-old puppy, you already can see their personality. That way, you know what you are getting into!
8. Adoption Helps More Than Just One Animal
When you adopt from a shelter, you are making room for another animal to be saved in their place. Many shelters run out of the room which is what results in euthanasia. By adopting, you are giving another animal a chance to live.
9. You're Supporting The Shelter or Rescue They Came From
City shelters and rescue organizations might get some city funding or grants but they heavily rely on donations. The adoption fee for an animal goes right back into helping their other animals.
10. You'll Feel Good
Animals are not only unconditional in love with you but have been shown to support their companions mentally, emotionally, and physically. Caring for a pet may offer a sense of intent and happiness, and decrease the feelings of isolation. And you should also feel proud to support an animal in need when you adopt it!
Are you ready to adopt? Check out PetFinder.com to see available animals in your area! And get your home ready by being stocked up on essential supplies from Metro Paws® with Metro Wipes®, Metro Balls®, Poopy Packs®, and a Poopcase®!
In Same Category
Related by Tags
- Easy DIY Dog Costumes
- Different Ways Cats Show Affection
- How Often Should You Take Your Cat to the Vet?
- Keep Your Pets Safe This Summer
- Spring Cleaning is for the Dogs (&cats)
- Pet First Aid Awareness
- How Do Deaf Dogs Learn Sign Language?
- Dog Thefts on the Rise Worldwide
- What Dogs are the Best Apartment Dogs?
- Dogs and Diarrhea: Everything You Need to Know
- 6 DIY Dog Puzzles for Enrichment
- Keeping Pets Safe Throughout The Holiday Season
- What You Need to Know: Diabetes in Dogs
- All About Canine Lymphoma
- 12 Pawfect Halloween Dog Treats
- How Can You Teach Your Dog to Swim?
- Pet Fire Safety 101
- 15 Easy Doggie Ice Cream for Summer
- Are Your Pets Gaining Weight?
- Pet Cancer Awareness: The Facts
- Welcoming Your Newly Adopted Dog Into Your Home
- Why Microchipping Your Pet Is Important
- Animal Disaster Preparedness: Are You Ready?
- Get On Top of Flea and Tick Prevention!
- Why Should You Ditch Easter Chocolate For Your Pets?
- Tips For Adopting A Pet During Quarantine
- How Can You Keep Your Indoor Cat Entertained?
- Quarantined? Activities To Keep Your Dogs Entertained and Active
- Choosing The Best Kind of Pet Care Service
- Spay and Neuter: It's the Right Thing to Do
- Are Your Pets Muddling Allergies?
- Gardening With Pets: Make Everyone Happy and Safe
- 10 Reasons to Adopt a Shelter Pet
- Why is Charcoal Beneficial For Pets?
- What is Your Dog's Body Language Telling You?
- Pet Dental Health...It's More Important Than You Realize