With Spring in the air, the gardening gloves come on as we get ready to dig into the dirt with our four-legged companions by our side. But we need to ensure that both our plants AND our pets are safe.
1. Prevent poison intoxication
Many plants that we think would be harmless to plant are indeed toxic to our pets. Be sure to research every one you plant ahead of time so no one ends up at the emergency vet. Some very common plants that are actually in fact toxic to dogs include Daffodil, Tulips, Eucalyptus and Lavender. You can find the full list of toxic plants for dogs, cats and even horses from the ASPA here.
2. Cats be gone!
Outdoor cats definitely like to make planters their own litter box so use herbs like rosemary and sage which are pungent enough to keep cats of planters as a natural deterrent. Laying coffee over the dirt is also a natural repellent for cats!
Photo Credit: iStock
3. Hey chicken, chicken!
Attached chicken wire to posts that can be easily rolled out around the garden to keep pets out and then rolled back up to access the garden! Chicken wire is a fairly inexpensive solution to keep both pets and unwanted wildlife from ruining the garden you put so much time and effort into. And the fact that you can roll it up whenever you'd like allows you to enjoy the garden whenever you'd like.
4. Time to dig...not
Give your dog their own sandbox filled with sand or dirt and bury their toys in it to give them a chance to dig and keep them out of your precious garden! They're entertained and your plants are spared.
Gardening with pets doesn't have to be a hassle and it doesn't have to mean having your entire garden dug up within the day of planting it! What are some of your favorite ways to keep both your garden and pets safe?
In Same Category
Related by Tags
- Easy DIY Dog Costumes
- Different Ways Cats Show Affection
- How Often Should You Take Your Cat to the Vet?
- Keep Your Pets Safe This Summer
- Spring Cleaning is for the Dogs (&cats)
- Pet First Aid Awareness
- How Do Deaf Dogs Learn Sign Language?
- Dog Thefts on the Rise Worldwide
- What Dogs are the Best Apartment Dogs?
- 1,400 Deaths Linked To Seresto Flea Collar
- Dogs and Diarrhea: Everything You Need to Know
- 6 DIY Dog Puzzles for Enrichment
- Keeping Pets Safe Throughout The Holiday Season
- What You Need to Know: Diabetes in Dogs
- All About Canine Lymphoma
- 12 Pawfect Halloween Dog Treats
- How Can You Teach Your Dog to Swim?
- Pet Fire Safety 101
- 15 Easy Doggie Ice Cream for Summer
- Are Your Pets Gaining Weight?
- Pet Cancer Awareness: The Facts
- Welcoming Your Newly Adopted Dog Into Your Home
- Why Microchipping Your Pet Is Important
- Animal Disaster Preparedness: Are You Ready?
- Get On Top of Flea and Tick Prevention!
- Why Should You Ditch Easter Chocolate For Your Pets?
- Tips For Adopting A Pet During Quarantine
- How Can You Keep Your Indoor Cat Entertained?
- Quarantined? Activities To Keep Your Dogs Entertained and Active
- Choosing The Best Kind of Pet Care Service
- Spay and Neuter: It's the Right Thing to Do
- Are Your Pets Muddling Allergies?
- Gardening With Pets: Make Everyone Happy and Safe
- 10 Reasons to Adopt a Shelter Pet
- Why is Charcoal Beneficial For Pets?
- What is Your Dog's Body Language Telling You?
- Pet Dental Health...It's More Important Than You Realize