Let's Prevent Pet Poisoning

Let's Prevent Pet Poisoning

Let's Prevent Pet Poisoning

Did you know that March is National Poison Prevention Month? While this is aimed at poison prevention in humans, this very much still applies to the fur babies of our families. There is a long list of substances that prove to be poisonous to pets but some are more common than you think and are found in foods that you enjoy daily. Here are some of the most common ones:



  • Chocolate

  • Mouse and Rat Poisons (rodenticides)

  • Anti-inflammatory medications

  • Xylitol (sugar-free gum & more)

  • Grapes & Raisins

  • Antidepressant Medications

  • Acetaminophen (e.g., Tylenol)

  • Vitamin D Overdose

  • Stimulant Medications (e.g., for ADD/ADHD)

  • Fertilizers


  • Lilies (Lilium species)

  • Spot-on flea/tick medication for dogs

  • Household Cleaners

  • Antidepressant Medications

  • Essential Oils

  • Anti-inflammatory Medications

  • Mouse & Rat Poisons (rodenticides)

  • Stimulant Medications (e.g., for ADD/ADHD)

  • Onions & Garlic

  • Vitamin D Overdose

List courtesy of Pet Poison Hotline

This is just a shortlist of the most common toxicities that find their way into dogs and cat's digestive systems.


How can you make sure that your pets aren't coming into contact with these toxins? For one, make sure everything is locked away in cabinets that are high up and can't be opened with the swipe of a paw. To up the safety, keep items like household cleaners and insect sprays in the garage, medications in a locked medicine cabinet and food items up high in the pantry. Opt for not putting poisonous plants in your home or garden, especially if your dog or cat has a tendency for eating plants.


Not sure if your pets got into something that's poisionus to them? Here are some common symptoms:

  • Excessive drooling,

  • Nausea

  • Oral irritation

  • Sickness

  • Diarrhea

  • Pale gums

  • Agitation

  • Tremors

  • Convulsions

  • Heart issues

Keep in mind, the symptoms do vary between the different type of food or toxin that's been ingested and also varies per animal.


Find that your pet has digested something poisonous or toxic? You can call the Pet Poison Helpline at (800)213-6680 or call your local vet or an emergency vet.


Not sure if it's poisonous and toxic? Check here for a full list.




Leave a comment

* Required fields

Please note: comments must be approved before they are published.