About 5-10% of dogs are born deaf in America every year. Many dogs can also become deaf later on in life from old age and other diseases. When dogs are born deaf, they never actually know that they're deaf! Yet these dogs have proven to be so intelligent and have an urge to learn. Deaf dogs are often taught hand signals, like sign language, in order to do things like sit, down, stay, come and much more! But HOW exactly do they learn this? Well, it's much like how hearing dogs are taught to respond to voice commands.
Photo Credit: Best Friends Animal Society
Creating an effective way to communicate with deaf pets is imperative. Dogs are also fantastic at reading facial expressions which can be used when training. Before beginning training, a clear set of hand signals should be decided upon. A professional trainer may also be beneficial if you have never trained a deaf dog before. A dog owner may choose either ASL (American Sign Language) for their signals or come up with a unique set such as palm open and face down for "lay down".
Photo Credit: AKC
Positive reinforcement is essential to training a deaf dog, especially since it may be harder to get and keep their attention when they can't hear you. When getting their attention, stomping on the ground to create a vibration or waving a hand in front of them also works. A vibration collar is also effective! Before an actual command is taught, a dog should learn a signal for a good job that can be used when learning all future commands. An example of this signal is giving a thumbs up.
For learning commands, use the same luring techniques as teaching a hearing dog such as holding a treat above them and push back until they sit while using the hand signal until you are using just the hand signal! It's that easy! If you have doubts about adopting a deaf dog, just know that they still make fantastic pets and family members that are eager to please and be loved!
In Same Category
Related by Tags
- Spring Cleaning is for the Dogs (&cats)
- Pet First Aid Awareness
- How Do Deaf Dogs Learn Sign Language?
- Dog Thefts on the Rise Worldwide
- What Dogs are the Best Apartment Dogs?
- Dogs and Diarrhea: Everything You Need to Know
- 6 DIY Dog Puzzles for Enrichment
- Keeping Pets Safe Throughout The Holiday Season
- What You Need to Know: Diabetes in Dogs
- All About Canine Lymphoma
- 12 Pawfect Halloween Dog Treats
- How Can You Help Homeless Animals?
- How Can You Teach Your Dog to Swim?
- Pet Fire Safety 101
- 15 Easy Doggie Ice Cream for Summer
- Are Your Pets Gaining Weight?
- Pet Cancer Awareness: The Facts
- Welcoming Your Newly Adopted Dog Into Your Home
- Why Microchipping Your Pet Is Important
- Animal Disaster Preparedness: Are You Ready?
- Get On Top of Flea and Tick Prevention!
- Why Should You Ditch Easter Chocolate For Your Pets?
- Tips For Adopting A Pet During Quarantine
- Quarantined? Activities To Keep Your Dogs Entertained and Active
- Choosing The Best Kind of Pet Care Service
- Spay and Neuter: It's the Right Thing to Do
- Are Your Pets Muddling Allergies?
- Gardening With Pets: Make Everyone Happy and Safe
- 10 Reasons to Adopt a Shelter Pet
- Why is Charcoal Beneficial For Pets?
- What is Your Dog's Body Language Telling You?
- Pet Dental Health...It's More Important Than You Realize